Attendance is one of the most powerful predictors of academic achievement. Having your student in their classroom, ready to learn for the entire school day, will benefit them, their classmates, and our whole school community. Let’s work together to ensure your child has excellent attendance and can get the most out of their learning opportunities this school year.
We understand there are a wide variety of reasons students are absent from school, from health concerns to transportation challenges. We are prepared to help you if you or your student face challenges in getting to school regularly or on time. We track attendance daily, notice when your student is missing from class, communicate with you to understand why they were absent, and identify barriers and supports available to overcome challenges you may face in helping your student attend school.
We miss our students when they are not at school as we value their contributions to our school community. Please contact the school if you know your child will be absent. If an absence was unplanned, please contact the school.
HOW CAN WE WORK TOGETHER
• Send your child to school unless they are genuinely sick, such as fever, vomiting, diarrhea, or a contagious rash.
• Avoid appointments and travel when school is in session.
• Keep track of your child’s attendance on the Parent Portal.
• Set a regular bedtime and morning routine (including limiting how late your child may use electronic devices), finish homework, and pack backpacks the night before.
• Have a backup plan for getting to school in case something arises.
• Communicate with the school about how we can work together to support your child’s attendance.
Thank you for your partnership that will ultimately lead to your child’s success. Remember, Attendance Matters!
Bruce Abbott At-Risk Coordinator (Homeless Liaison, Truancy, Homeschool)
434-332-3458 ext. 644
Jeff Burnett Truancy Officer (Attendance, Truancy, Homeschool)
434-332-3458 ext. 642
Fax (434) 332-1199